Henryk Skolimowski (born 1930 in Warsaw) is a Polish philosopher. He completed technical studies and philosophy in Warsaw. He received his Ph.D. in philosophy from Oxford University.
The student of Tadeusz Kotarbińskiand Kazimierz Ajdukiewicz, he specialized in logic and philosophy of language. Skolimowski earned a doctorate at the University of Oxford, where he also taught before he began his professorships at the University of Southern California in Los Angeles, and then at the University of Michigan, where he was for 23 years a professor of philosophy, and now holds the position of professor emeritus. Today he is considered to be the leading thinker in the field of eco-philosophy.
Skolimowski’s work is partly inspired by his desire to overcome human angst and modern alienation caused by the overwhelming preponderance of modern technology and its hidden ideology. Our increasing dependence on technology, at the expense of a right relationship with Nature and the planet, is one of the prime concerns of Skolimowski’s work. Another inspiration of his work is his awareness that organized patriarchal religions are increasingly unable to provide a meaningful spiritual platform from which modern human beings may appropriately evolve.
- The Lotus and the Mud: Autobiography of a Philosopher. Creative Fire Press.
- World as Sanctuary: The Cosmic Philosophy of Henryk Skolimowski. Creative Fire Press.
- Let There Be Light: The Mysterious Journey of Cosmic Creativity. Wisdom Tree.
- Philosophy for a New Civilization. Gyan Publishing House.
- The Dawn of the Ecological Era (with Ashwani Kumar). Concept Books.
- Dharma, Ecology and Wisdom in the Third Millennium. Concept Books.
- The Participatory Mind: A New Theory of Knowledge and of the Universe. Penguin/Arkana.
- Eco-Yoga: Practice and Meditations for Walking in Beauty. Gaia Books.
- A Sacred Place to Dwell. Element Books.
- Living Philosophy: Eco-Philosophy as a Tree of Life. Penguin/Arkana.
- Dancing Shiva in the Ecological Age. Clarion Books
- The Other Side of the Rational Mind. The Intl Cultural Foundation.
- Out of the Cosmic Dust. Vasanta Press.
- Eco-Theology: Toward a Religion for our Times. Eco-Philosophy Publications.
- Theatre of the Mind. Quest Books.
- Technology and Human Destiny. Madras Univ. Press.
- Eco-Philosophy: Designing New Tactics for Living. Marion Boyars.
- Polish Analytical Philosophy. Routledge and Kegan Paul.